Monday, April 10, 2006

Going to repost a few entries from my other blog that I shall likely stop posting to.

March 24, 2006

Ok, so I've gone back to swim lessons after a several month hiatus. There are two classes in the pool at the same time, one is for lessons, the other is for exercise. The exercise class uses belts and they basically stay in a circle moving their legs for an hour. There are two women in that class who do not stay in the circle and go off on their own to another part of the pool.

For the lesson class, the shallow end is used by newbies who work on getting back and forth in a variety of ways. There are those of us in the class who need to use the length of the pool to improve our skills.
So there is a section being used by the newbies and a section being used by the circle of exercisers and a section needed for the lengthwise swimmers.

Why in the hell do these two belted women keep insisting on doing their paddling where the lap swimmers need to be? Each week, it's the same thing. The first night of class, it was just me needing the length and I wasn't yet totally comfortable since it had been so long that I lamely waited until they were out of my way to do my thing. Last week, they were told to get out of our (there were 4 of us that time) way after 1/2 hour of us taking turns because there was no room.
Last night it was just me again. Feeling stronger, I went ahead with swimming and they would not budge.
I grazed them twice and they acted as if I were invisible. I complained to a teacher saying I have enough to think about without having to wonder if they are in my path but by then she had already told them to move over (I don't hear or see anything while I'm swimming).

I should be dealing with this better. Maybe it's because I'm still not feeling strong about swimming and that vulnerability is making it difficult for me to just tell them to use another part of the pool instead of expecting others to do it for me. But really, the others should be doing it sooner :P

No comments: