Monday, April 10, 2006

April 3, 2006

The dogs are outside going crazy. I noticed the neighbor was out with his two dogs and they were going crazy. I hope I remember to let them in if it starts to rain.

I took the Age Test at www.RealAge.com. The results nearly gave me a heart attack. I was stunned that it says my real age is almost 10 years older than I am. I retook the test tweaking some answers to try to pinpoint the real problems. A trivial example was that it said I need to buy a new car. That doesn't take driving skills into consideration so I felt that to be mostly irrelevant. I wanted to see the health issues, besides the obvious. What I discovered is that once you get to a certain age (ahem), you need for your results to be good or excellent or else it is considered a negative. For example, my "average" HDL counted against me. Well shit. I did not see that in the manual.

I have to wonder about supplements though. It said I should add more Vitamin C and E. Ok, I bought some and added it to my drug stash. My current supplement intake now consists of:

Multi-vitamin
Calcium
Soy
B-12
Fish Oil
Vitamin C
Vitamin E

This adds up. I wonder if it is all really worth it. When I tell a doctor what I'm taking, they just say ok. No real reaction either way.

It's like April 1st was my Jan 1st as far as getting motivated to do the things you should do that are good for you. Having the windows open is like an end to hibernation for me. The age test was the kick in the ass I needed. I went for a 2+ mile hike yesterday with the goal of being able to hike around Lake Hope next time I go, and then if I accomplish that, work up to a 6 mile trail in that area. We'll see. I went to the grocery and bought only food I should eat, with dark chocolate counting as a food I should eat. I'll have a square with my tea each day. Hopefully no more (not counting PMS days).

No comments: