Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I'm off to the cabin for a few days. It's unseasonably cold now, so I don't plan to build an outdoor fire this time. And I may not stare at the lake for hours either, but I plan on relaxing. The stress started to ease as soon as I decided I was going for sure.

On a hike at a Metro Park over the weekend, I learned something about buckeyes. The Buckeye is the state tree. We are bombarded with Ohio State Buckeye "news". I know how to make chocolate and peanut butter buckeyes. I know the joke - What is a buckeye? A worthless nut. Ha.
What I learned was why the tree is called buckeye. The nut from the tree looks like the eye of a deer (buck).

The people I told that to were unaware as well, yet so simple :) What's funny though is the leaves resemblence to another plant.

Ohio State students are proud to wear the symbol on their clothing :)

No comments: