Monday, October 09, 2006

I am FINALLY trying my hand (hands?) at two-stranded knitting. I love color. I love color combinations. I've wanted to try this forever. I'm trying a hat for Baby B. This baby is going to be so convenient for learning new techniques.

So, not knowing what I'm doing, I gave it a shot. I tried holding both yarns in my right hand, then tried one in each. As I worked with the left hand yarn, I thought it felt odd to get the result the way I was doing it. I figured I should look at a video online to see if I was even close. Imagine my surprise to learn that 1) I was doing it just fine and 2) I was doing continental knitting! That was another thing on my list to learn and there it was!

I know I must have seen it somewhere, but apparently the data got lost in the processor - that two-handed knitting uses both Continental and English styles. I need to work on my tension, but that seems to be a common problem for learning this. After that gets worked out, the possibilities are endless!

Son and DIL have purchased a kid-mobile. DIL gave up her Mustang. She didn't seem to mind though.

It looks like my work is now being evaluated by someone at HQ who is a smart-ass, anal type.
This job attracts quite a few of the "By the Book" no exceptions, control freaks. I've been fortunate that my local boss is not that way and my Supervisor has told me she doesn't care how I get the data as long as it's right and on time. Previously, I would get a note from HQ about once every 6 months and they were simple questions. This month I got 3 notes from some guy questioning little things and wondering why anything falls out of the expected answers. Ugh. Yes, if I say a housing unit is detached, it is detached, even though many around it are attached. Why question my data and/or my intelligence? (Ok. so maybe he didn't come out and question my intelligence, but it is annoying). Or the sq ft of a house...why say "It sounds small - check it out."? It IS small. Maybe he will learn he can trust my work, but I won't hold my breath.

Husband found papers showing that for the last storm, it took about 2 months to get it all taken care of. It's weird, but it looks like the storm took off most of the stain on the deck too. Husband thinks a window was damaged because now it's all fogged up between the panes. Little things, really.

iTunes - H, I, J, K, L

Hanson
Hootie and the Blowfish
Howie Day

Isley Brothers

Jackson Five
The Jam
Janet Jackson
Jay-Z and Linkin Park - Numb - noteworthy because it's the most played song by far in my list.
Jermaine Jackson
Jimmy Ruffin
Johann Sebastian Bach
John Lennon
Johnny Gill

Kelly Osbourne

Ladytron
Linkin Park
Lionel Richie
Lisa Loeb
LL Cool J
Lords of Acid
Ludwig van Beethoven

L means diversity!

2 comments:

hesira said...

Wow! Your taste in music is DIVERSE! I haven't thought of The Jam in a long time. I can't wait to see your 2 stranded knitting. Good for you accidently learning the continental method! I haven't even tried to learn that yet, but I'm going to check next time I 2 strand to see if I accidentaly know how.

vtwopoint5 said...

This is why I can never answer the question about my favorite music :)

I bet that you do know how to do the continental knitting! It's funny, now that I'm finishing the hat with one color, I'm holding the yarn in my left hand. My other WIPs, I keep using my right hand. Maybe my conversion will be gradual.