DIL may get to go home tomorrow. I am home now and other grandmother is with Baby B. I've had a total of 5 hours sleep since I went there Monday morning. Son has not left DIL's side.
The blood clots were dangerous. DIL was at a hospital in a small town. There was no blood going to one of her legs, there were clots in her lungs and abdomen. Hospital said the clots were too close to the kidney for them to deal with so they were going to send her to Dayton. Dayton then said they wouldn't deal with it either. I think that was the worst part for son to deal with. Then they said they were taking her to the hospital close to my house. After they arrived there, Dr. assured son they deal with this all of the time. Son was greatly relieved. So emergency surgery started at 10pm and ending around midnight. Dr. said he got them all cleared out and put in a filter. DIL was told never to get pregnant again. Period.
I took things to do with me to their house. Oh how naive of me. Baby B gets fed every 2 hours. In that two hour time, she is changed, bottle readied, fed, burped, and held for a bit so she doesn't spit up after eating. That takes 30-45 minutes. Then, at least 80% of the time, Baby B wakes with gas pains 15-30 minutes after she is put in her bed. That can take 10-20 minutes to get her back to sleep. During the night, the gas pains happen pretty much every time.
When other grandmother arrived, I was wearing the same pjs I had put on the first night, and they were not very clean. I did manage to brush my teeth though. Those who know me would laugh at the image. I'm teased because my default is to take a shower in the morning and a bath at night, each day. Oh, I forgot to mention they have cats. Even when Baby is sleeping, she has to be watched to make sure cats don't jump in with her. They put the cats upstairs at night time.
I did that the first night and then kept them up there for yesterday. I was too worried I would doze off. When cats realized it was just me there, and that they weren't missing out on much, they didn't seem to mind too much. DIL worried about her cats. I let them downstairs with me this morning.
DIL won't be allowed to do much. I don't know for how long. We all joked about son getting a 6 week paternity leave before Baby B was born, but they really need it. Thank goodness for that.
I'm home and I can't get to sleep. I dozed off once and woke up because I heard the baby crying.
I knew that would happen. The long dormant maternal quirks can resurface :)
On the way home, I passed an elementary school. Water that had been in my car was frozen. My car temp gauge said 22 degrees. Almost all of the kids were outside in short sleeve shirts. I'm assuming it was a fire drill. If I was a parent, I would be way pissed.
1 comment:
Thanks for the update. I'm glad DIL got her surgery and all the clots were cleared out. I'm so sorry to hear she can't have any more babes. My heart goes out to you all.
Bless you for being there for all of them. A rueful grin for your tired pj's too. All the worrying and the disruption of your sleep are messing with you. You'll be able to get some rest soon.
Big Hugs
Post a Comment